Saturday, October 14, 2006
Kinda Frustrated
So I volunteered to be on the board of the local volunteer center and so far I've not been really impressed yet. I've only gone to two meetings, one of which where I was appointed secretary. Then there have been a variety of other things going on that I have been asked to do - mostly fundraisers. I knew when I joined that fundraising would be a huge part of the deal, but I explained that I work in a small office, am relatively new to the area and so don't have the contacts that they might be expecting. So far I've been frustrated with how the entire thing is being run. Meetings are not as organized as I'd like them and we are being asked to do a whole lot of things that I have to say no to. For instance, there is a breakfast where board members were asked to host a table for $150 and invite people to pay $25 each for tickets. Another fundraiser. I just can't swing that right now, but $25 - sure I could do that. I've said it multiple times but nothing has happened. Then this week we got an email about hoilday wrapping at the mall - yet another fundraiser - where they are asking board members to do four 3 hour shifts. Most of the shifts are during the week during the day - not ideal. I emailed what I could do and apparently those were mostly taken so I was told to pick others. I've never met the woman doing this and just communicated over email. There is no way I can take off from work for 3 hours here and there - I know it will be quiet but I will have stuff to do. And we are probably going to MA later in the week so I can't do the last days before Christmas. Anway - I told them I what I could do and if any evening shifts open up I'll gladly do them but that's it. There is a meeting on Tuesday night and I'll see how that goes, but I feel like I've been asked to join something that is not organized and that I can't contribute much to. That's the source of my frustration and its tough because a friend of mine is the chair of the board and asked me to do it while the woman who runs the volunteer center is connected with my boss and my neighbor's Jewish women's group. Sometimes I think I'd be better off just volunteering with work type committees and associations but I wanted to do something in the area to meet more people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment