Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Elgin Ave is no longer a mouse free zone

For those of you that remember our Redding cottage - I wouldn't move in until Steven assured me that he had taken care of the mouse problem. So when we were looking at houses two years ago one of my criteria for the inspections were mice - did they find droppings, holes mice could come in, etc. Elgin ave passed the test. Until last night. I've always had this feeling that the garage would surprise me with little ugly rodents. We've found a couple dead ones on the driveway left by my cat neighbors (I hate cats too - shake my fist at them when I see them- sorry for you cat lovers in the family but I just never got the love for them). Last night I had weeded a little and was opening the garage to throw them away in the weed bag when something scurried across in front of me and under the shelves on the other side. I screamed and threw the weeds and Steven, Peter and Liana (who were in the yard next door preparing for croquet) came running. Steven didn't believe me that it was a mouse. Peter says they get moles in the yard and it might have been a mole. But I have seen a mole - Steven caught one in the basement of the Redding cottage and unfortunately I got a look at it dead in the trap. I REFUSE to enter the garage until Steven sets traps, poison, and anything else to get rid of the mice. I might even make him create a trash bin like Peter and Debbi have which is away from the house and not in the garage. But right now the garbage is in a sealed tight huge plastic garbage can. The lid is shut and I see no way for a mouse to sneak in. I'll keep you all updated on the mouse situation as it develops...

1 comment:

Brian said...

We had a few mice in our garage shortly after we moved in. I'm sure they were coming from the empty lot next to us. I used the expanding spray foam to seal cracks around the garage doors and set a few traps. Haven't had any mice since then. It helps that there's now a house where the empty lot was. The window wells have been relatively mouse free as well.