Wednesday, June 06, 2007

A Tribute to the Altima

So the Altima is gone - we got a call yesterday afternoon from a guy that wanted to see it. Steven met him and the guy made an offer that was $500 less than we wanted, Steven said sorry he'd only go down $200. The guy gave him his card and said to call if he changed his mind. Well I got home a few minutes later and Steven's phone rang and it was the guy again coming up another $100 - so we settled on a price $300 less than we had put on the sign. Its a good thing because the driver's side window motor is going and there have been some strange sounds here and there. But - after six years of reliable transportation it is a little sad to think that when I get home today it won't be in the driveway!

I bought that car all by myself in Virgina with a little help from all the savings bonds that my grandmother had bought for me while I was little. I think it was a pretty good deal - but my monthly payments were a little high until we were able to pay it off after the wedding. I put about 124,000 miles on it - driving up and down the East Coast. It was somewhat sporty - I enjoyed the sunroof and the CD player - but in recent months its been a little bit of a pain - now the iPod gets in the way of the cup holders, there are more dents and scrapes, I know it will need a new altenator (I've never replaced it) and there was a little shake to it as it idled at a light. But I knew that car - I am sure I'll get to know the Jeep in time but its still new to me. I remember the first time I drove from Lynchburg to Massachusetts - particuarly on 84 somewhere in PA with the sunroof open enjoying the breeze. I hope the new owner likes finding glitter in strange places throughout the car (thanks to our families on our wedding night- I can't believe I gave Greg the keys to "put a present in our car") We still found glitter when we were cleaning it out on Sunday! There have been numerous trips to Methuen for holidays with presents piled in the trunk and the back seat. And - I need to now go to Ireland again to get a new bumper sticker for the Jeep - the old one wouldn't peel off the Altima. So - please humor me with a moment of silence for the good old Altima...

3 comments:

Brian said...

We loved our Altima, too! It was a really good car. We decided something larger was needed once the family started expanding. We replaced it with a 2005 Impala and that car has been excellent as well. Have fun with the new Jeep.

Runner Chick Allison said...

I forgot you had an Altima! I definitely reccommend Nissan's - they seem to run forever - Steven had one before his truck that he had for a while and didn't have problems.

Todd said...

We still have ours if you get lonesome and want to visit it. It was Shayna's first new car, and it hasn't given us a reason to replace it.