Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Eating, Pooping and Sleeping update

So the doctor told Steven at the nine month appointment that Ian biologically doesn't need to wake up in the middle of the night for a feeding. I hadn't tried skipping that feeding since the appointment last week. So because I am home on Thursday with him I figured we would try last night. The whole night got off to a rough start because Mr. Stinky is in a phase where he'd rather feed himself and so dinner didn't go over well, then he nursed, but he gets less milk at night since my supply is lower than early morning and mid morning. Then it wsa into the crib. That was a fiasco. He was screaming and moaning and so upset. He was hungry. so at 7:15 we fed him his favorite thing - yogurt. He ate about half of it. Then some puffs. He likes using his teeth. Back into the crib by 8 and asleep a little after that. Great - I think he'll sleep right on through - nope. 1:30 AM rustle rustle - its Ian. I let him rustle, then it turns to whimpering, then full out crying. Steven is awake by this point too and with me in tears and Ian screaming I gave up at 2:10 and went in to feed him. There he was all red in the face - at the side of the crib chewing on the bumpers. I fed him and we were all back to sleep by 2:30. So you would think he'd be awake later this morning - nope - 5:30 comes and we hear rustle rustle. I let him roll around until 6 when I went in. He then took another nap at 7:50 to 8:40 and then we went grocery shopping - on the way back Mr. stinky fell asleep in the car seat at 10:30 and that is where he's been ever since - here is a picture - he is sleeping with his little eyes part way open. He only slept a half an hour yesterday at daycare - I really think that is the problem. When he's with Steven or I for a few days straight - like this past weekend - he's great and sleeps well. But throw in a daycare day and its all off. Well - that will change soon enough. Oh and as for the pooping - I am calling him Mr. Stinky for a reason if you know what I mean... lets just say we have none of our earlier problems with pooping.

3 comments:

Tina said...

OH Allison, it is SO hard to stopping nursing at night.... we ended up having Brian go in, and if he couldn't console Addison HE would bring in a couple of ounces of pumped milk to feed her. That didn't last too long and then the eating at night stopped. It is so hard, but try Steven going in at night. If Ian sees you he will want to nurse. Good luck!

Runner Chick Allison said...

Thanks! I said that last night and we might need to try that tonight. I'm exhausted right now and its only 3:30! He's down for another nap... wish I could take one but I have work to do!

MG said...

Technically there's no reason to stop the feeding, unless you want to. Biologically, they don't have to eat...but that doesn't mean that he isn't hungry or doesn't want to connect with you then, too.

Especially if trying to cut it out causes more drama, which is often more tiring than doing the feeding. Eventually they do stop with or without the "sleep training" methods.

I'm a fan of the Sears family guidelines and that's their two cents.

You may not want to take that two cents though since Aine isn't the ideal sleeper herself. But I guess I don't mind nighttime feedings - as long as they aren't her hourly ones! ha-ha!