Tuesday, April 18, 2006
Springy things
I like this time of year when the trees are just sprouting leaves and they are slightly green. And all along the roadsides the flowers are popping up. I read an editorial in the paper this week about daffodils growing in the strangest of places. You have to wonder why some people plant the bulbs where they do. And its not like seeds that might be spread by the wind or by a bird - those bulbs certainly won't be moved that easily. But they appear in the strangest places - in the yuckiest spots where you won't expect to see any flowers blooming. In my yard I have some bulbs struggling to pop up around the chesnut trees in front. Of course then there are those bulbs that created my crop circle in back (the old owners had a peach tree in the middle of the yard that was mulched around it and we took it out last summer but the bulbs popped up this spring). I tried to save them but they really are not taking to life in a big pot. Then there are my hydrangeas. The two in the front are beginning to show green spots on their wooden limbs while only one in the back has made it through the winter. That one was my first plant that Steven got me when we moved into our Redding cottage. It made the move to Bethel and lived in a bucket all last summer. Now I have to find a good spot to plant it. Then I need to make room for the pink one that my parents brought me this weekend. Maybe this year I'll have hydrangea blooms that actually dry and I can make a wreath out of them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Allison,
Strange indeed, I think sqirrells (sp?) have alot to do with the mysterious oddly placed bulbs. The critters are forever moving and digging up things in my yard. Now if i could train them to dig up the weeds. LOL.
Michelle
Post a Comment